Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

So Many Choices

It's been awhile since I posted here.  In my course of research I have stumbled on a quite a few forums where I have spent a lot of time.  The internet is a great thing in some ways in that much information is at the tips of your fingers.  On the flip side, too much information can lead to vapor lock of the brain and the decision making process.  This is called in the business world, decision paralysis, where an overwhelming number of factors are considered and reconsidered until, well, no decision is ultimately made rather a continual do loop of analysis of data takes place.

One particular forum called Do The Ton has been a great resource for me.  There are many like minded folks that post all types of information from how to's to build threads of their own projects..you name it..it's mostly likely there.  The best part of this forum is the step by step build threads that guys publish detailing their every step of taking a bike and transforming it into a Cafe Racer.  There are so many illustrations which plant seeds of thought in your brain as to how to style your own build.  Incidentally I have started my own thread there to document more of the details of my project.  If you wish to follow it, just click on "1973 CB175 Project-First Build 'Anna'".

So where it stands now, here is what I have come up with that I would like to accomplish in this build:
-Polish the wheels/spokes
-Replace handlebars with clubman style bars
-Modify exhaust but keep stock headers and install shorty pipes
-Build cafe seat using stock seat pan
-Replace rear shocks
-Cut front fender down
-Eliminate rear fender
-Install aftermarket bullet style lights
-Clean up front forks
-Clean up engine (overhaul will come later)
-Blast and powder coat frame
-Chrome the engine hangers and footpeg mounts
-Install aftermarket rearsets (Motobits)
-Replace fasteners with hex head type stainless on engine covers

This is a partial list of all that I wish to do, but it changes as I learn more about styles, restoration processes and other information that influences my taste.  The trick here is to make a decision and move forward and not get paralyzed!

So as the bike sits now, it's all in boxes! I have it all taken apart and the frame is sitting in the garage looking in desperate need of attention and attention it will get soon..as soon as I save up to have it blasted and painted!  Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment